Our youth and their families benefit from your contributions. With your support and community connections, they can navigate barriers and difficulties. Whether you’re excited to work directly with youth and families or behind the scenes in operations, check-out the latest research on the impact that mentoring makes. Below, you will find the three areas for volunteering with Focus Forward.
1. 21-years and older
2. Pass background check and clear a TB skin test
3. Commit to a 1-year service contract
4. Mentor meet face-to-face with mentees every week
5. Adhere to all policies and training requirements
6. Participate in weekly Friday staff meetings
Marcella Lopez, Volunteer Coordinator (559) 287-6292 or email@example.com
At the bottom of this page, you will find a flow chart for applying and joining our team. Also check out the interview questions.
Current Opportunities for Specializations
Behind the scenes roles
- Engage in operational activities behind the scenes or in the community.
- Choose from one area (e.g. fundraising, marketing/PR, special events, web site maintenance, and office support).
- Provide one on one mentoring to youth in Focus Forward programs.
- Provide an array of case management services such as assessments, completing case notes and screenings, referrals, goal setting and educational support for the youth.
- Connect individual youth to community resources and assist youth in achieving goals in education, employment, relationships, recreation and well-being.
- Provide post release support to youth and meet with them in the community.
- Instruct or present workshops to a group of youth on a variety of topics such as art, creative writing, music, yoga, mediation, etc.
- Help youth learn different forms of expression.
- Provide opportunities for youth to gain self efficacy.
“What do I gain from volunteering with Focus Forward?”
In addition to the altruistic aspect of volunteering, volunteers gain from their time with Focus Forward:
- Train in a specialization (mentoring, instructing, or operational specialization).
- Build a professional portfolio through the Focus Forward professional development tool.
- Develop a supervisory-coaching relationship to grow your leadership abilities.
- Contribute to and learn from the rich diversity of culture, age, gender, knowledge, and life experience.
- Commit to building a stronger youth community.
“After I apply, what happens next?”
Review this flow chart to understand the steps involved with applying and joining our team.